Sunday, June 19, 2011

Hi- it's a short simple word.

I disliked a lot of things about living in the South. It was hot, brutal at times. There's a reason they call it the "dirty south". It's filthy. People smoke butts, everywhere. I did too, I realize. That was college. Tourists can be annoying. The worst was the morning (probably afternoon) that I woke up to big dude I didn't know in my apartment. (The scary kind, not the good kind, although there were a few of those also. Sorry Josh.) I'm sure there's more to hate on, but why elaborate?

There are a lot of things that I loved about the South as well. The beaches, the parties, the shopping, and most importantly, the people. I wish I could pick up some of the people I met or encountered in the dirty and pepper them throughout Vermont.

When I moved to South Carolina, one of the first things I noticed was that no matter where I went, people would greet me with a genuinely friendly smile, and usually a "haay". Not the gay kind, the southern twang kind, personally, I love both. :) At first I kind of jerked my head around every time I heard it, wondering "how do I know you?" Then I realized that was just how people were. Friendly, hospitable, warm. I learned to love it, and I learned to be that way in my own life. Now, I'm bringing it to Vermont. I'm sure I'm not the first.

My new found awareness of how warm and inviting people could be made me realize that Vermont is funny. Cold. Now if you are a Vermonter reading this blog, don't get pissed, stay with me. I'm hoping I can make you aware, and make Vermont a little better for us all.I realize that not all Vermonters are cold, duh, but some just aren't aware yet. 

I immediately noticed the change in interactions when I moved home. I'd go to the store, do all of my shopping, get gas, drop off mail, and return home without ever even saying "hi" or flashing my million dollar smile to anyone. Slap. (It's a Tennessee thing) I may have even talked on my cell phone (I'm sure it was a Zach Morris model)  while checking out. Yuck.

I hated that. I changed that. I've learned that a simple "hi" or even a brief smile can go a long way. I do it all the time. Everywhere. To people young, old, homeless, grumpy, happy, scary looking, etc. It makes me feel great. Happy. I get compliments on it all the time. No really, I've even had people say "you're always in a good mood" or "what are you so happy about?". I assure you, I'm not always happy, mostly I am, but not always. Now, I do it out of habit. It's a great one.

I love watching people process the interaction. Now, beware at first some people are going to have that nervous reaction, like "how do I know you"? Some might look away and ignore you. It's new, why wouldn't they? Move on to the next. Others might think you're hitting on them, or better yet their wives will. I assure you, it will be okay, and you will feel great after! 

This "hi" movement is powerful. It's better then any happy pill or bong hit you'll ever take- a better "high". It will make you feel good, I promise. You never know, you might make someone else's day too. Let's warm up Vermont. 

I'd like to give all of you Vermonters a challenge. Starting now, whenever you go somewhere, whether you are in a good mood or not, whether you know the people you encounter or not. Smile and say "hi" -it's a short simple word.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Caitlin! Nicely put. You exude warmth almost all the time...that's one of the things I love about you!

    ReplyDelete